Saturday, March 6, 2010

Of Jabberwocks and Fortnights


What a marvelous weekend!! On Friday evening, my house mates and I created a Fort in our living room out of blankets and furniture, and had a slumber party in the fort.  It was loads of fun, and a great fortnight. Then on Saturday we woke up and had the best pancakes I have ever had, and watched Loony Toons and Carmen Santiago. We rented them from our school library.  I felt like I was ten years old, and I discovered why Elmer Fudd hates Bugs Bunny so, because I watched the very first episode of Bugs Bunny.  Apparently Elmer Fudd was trying to take wildlife pictures of Bugs Bunny, and he wouldn't let Elmer take pictures of him, so Elmer went absolutely CRAZY and has been chasing him ever since.

After the Saturday morning cartoons, I basked in the beautiful sunshine outside and tried to accomplish some homework, which didn't work very well.  Instead I settled for a nap in the garage with the door open, because although the night before was a fortnight, I didn't get as much sleep as you would think.  After my lovely nap, I made dinner, hung out in the fort, and talked to friends.  Then May and I went to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D.  It was very good, and quite possibly my favorite Tim Burton Movie.  It was very cool to see a movie in 3D, and makes me want to see Avatar in 3D.   Anyway, in the movie, Alice goes back to Wonderland as an adult and had many adventures, including something to do with a Jabberwock.  May told me about this poem, and a lot of the movie is loosely based on it. We also discovered that the poem was written by the same person who wrote Alice and wonderland, and that it was even contained in the sequals, Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There. I thought I would share it because it is very fun. Now I have added the Alice in Wonderland Series to the list of books I want to read after I graduate from College and can read whatever I want. YAY.  Anyway, I had a glorious weekend so far, and it seems so long, perhaps it has something to do with the fortnight we crammed in there.  Ok, I'll stop with the fortnight jokes. I kinda thought it was funny though.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
  Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
  And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
  The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
  And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
  The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
  He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
  Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
  He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.

3 comments:

Chris/Jan said...

Glad you had a fun weekend.

Ton Lynn said...

fun! I have an OLD version of alice in wonderland that has a jabberwock in it... I could lend it to you sometime if your interested- alice actually reads that poem.

Teresa said...

that's cool! lol. we'll have to watch that the next time I'm up/at your house.